Thursday, November 29, 2012

Chapter 4 - Zigsag Stitch and Automatic Pattterns

Piece #1   -     zigzag stitch with changes in the width of the stitch -  the length remains static (2) in a middle range
Fabric – bridal satin – painted with transfer paints using Sample #2  - started out with a 5” by 5 “ and finished with a piece was width 4 ½ by length 4 ¾ inches. 
Stabilizer -  piece of white kunin felt and a piece of medium weight pillow (Vilene)
Threads -   (#1)  WonderFil 100 % rayon embroidery 120d/2   Art# 3142 – Colour  # 4134 – dark green (bobbin thread – black polyester) 
                (#2)  WonderFil 100% rayon embroidery 120d/2  Art# 3142 – Colour  # 1149 – dark wine red (bobbin thread – black polyester)
                (#3)  100% rayon embroidery  120d/2  -  Colour – dark pink  -  # not noted on spool  (bobbin thread – pink)
                (#4)   100% rayon embroidery  120d/2  - Colour – light pink  -  # not noted on spool  (bobbin thread - pink)
I varied the width of the stitch from a straight line to the maximum width of 5.  In several instances, I varied the width from the top to the bottom of the piece and vice versa.  I did have problems with the tension, however, I decreased the top tension to 3 and this seemed to work well. 



Piece #2  -  zigzag stitch with changes in the length of the stitch – the width  (5) remains static
Fabric  -  black felt – started out with a width of 5” by 5” and finished with a piece width 4 ¼ by length 5 inches.
Stabilizer – black felt
Threads  -  (#1)  Korean Marathon thread – 100 % rayon -   colour # 2081  -  medium violet
                (#2)  Korean Marathon Thread – 100% rayon – colour # 2022 – orange yellow
                (#3)  Korean Marathon Thread – 100% rayon – colour # 2002 – yellow green
                Bobbin thread for all  -  polyester medium grey
I kept the tension at 3.  I kept the length of the stitch the same for each row.  I have no idea why I did that!!!!




Piece # 3 – Zigzag stitch with changes in the width and length of stitches
Fabric – Bridal satin – painted with transfer paints using Sample # 3  -  started out with a piece 5” by 5” and ended up with a piece 4 ¾ by 4 7/8 inches.
Stabilizer – white Kunin felt with a piece of medium weight pellon (Vilene) in the centre
Threads – (#1) – 100% rayon   AJ 8158 – Colour # 1155  - dark red wine
                (#2) – 100% rayon   -  same as #1 but has lost its label -  Colour  - Royal Blue
                (#3)  -  100% rayon embroidery 120d/2 – Colour – light yellow orange (lost colour label)
                Bobbin threads  -  used polyester threads  to match the top threads
I varied the lengths and widths.  I did have trouble with the tension when the length was below 1.0 when the stitches were close together and the bobbin threads were coming to the top.  I again loosened the tension which did help somewhat.  I was in extreme trouble with one of the centre yellow rows with the tension …..  in this case, the thread was wrapped around the spindle.   I really liked the narrow rows of zigzag when changing the width of the stitch.   I chose to leave the “windows" of the background fabric.





Piece # 4 – Automatic stitches with no changes in length or width.
Fabric – a piece of hand painted (fabric paints) duponi silk from my own stash -  started out with a piece 5” by 5” and ended up with a piece 4 ½ by 4 3/8 inches.
Stabilizer – white Kunin felt
Threads –   (#1) -   variegated 100 % Rayon 1200/2 from the Thread Studio – Colour – Carnivale
                (#2)  -  Bobbin thread – white polyester
I chose to make a picture frame using the various automatic stitches.  In several cases I did mirror images of stitches.  I also decided to use the lengths and widths programmed into the machine. Had fun with the centre flowers. I left bits out on purpose!!




Piece # 5  -  Automatic stitches with changes in length and width.
Fabric – hand painted piece of cotton using fabric paints – started out with a piece 5 “ by 5 “  and ended up with the measurements being 4 ¾ by 4 7/8 inches.
Stabilizer – white Kunin felt
Threads – (#1)  -  cotton polyester variegated thread – colour yellow to yellow orange.  Thread is from my stash and there was no label. 
                (#2)  -  bobbin thread – white polyester thread
The leaf stitch was used on the four outside edges varying the stitch length for each side.  As I worked the piece, I also changed the length throughout the row.  I did change the width whenever the programme allowed me to do so!!!  I also used the mirror image programme.  I liked the picture frame concept with each window image a different size!!!!   Also the stitching could be curtains with fancy ruffles!!!    I felt the two zigzag lines across the center were somewhat overwhelming.     






Piece # 6 -  Automatic stitches with changes in length and width.
Fabric / Stabilizer – This time I used a water soluble stabilizer – Ultra Solvy Weight – Heavy:    Colour – Translucent.   The original size was 4“ by 5” and the final piece was 3 ¼ by 4 ½ inches.
Threads – (#1) - 100% Rayon   1200/2  -  Colour  -  variegated  royal blue to turquoise  - Barrier Reef from Thread Studio
                (#1A) -  Bobbin thread -  100% polyester Gutermann  CA02776 – Colour # 260 – Royal Blue
                (#2) - 100% Polyester – variegated red to red orange (tones) – thread from my stash and there is no label
                (#2A) -  Bobbin thread – 100% polyester – Mettler Metrosene Plus  - Colour 601  - Red
                (#3) – 100% Rayon Marathon Korean Thread – FF 1200/2 KA 65565 – Colour # 2022 – yellow orange
                (#3A) -  Same as (#2A) – Red
Started with rows of automatic stitches   using the blue threads (#1) and programmed stitches for length and width.  Using the red threads (#2), I stitched automatic programmes diagonally covering approximately two thirds of the piece leaving two corners free.  Here the lengths of the stitches were varied.   I have just realized that I was increasing the stitch widths only where I could and I should have decreased them as well ….. which I did not!!!   Using the yellow/orange (#3) thread, I stitched three bands across the piece perpendicular to the one large red band.  To hold the outside edges together I used a narrow zigzag stitch in the blue (#1) thread to attempt to keep the piece together once I dissolved the stabilizer.  I did not block the final piece.    I like the lacy look and even the places where the stitches didn’t overlap and there are definite gaps!!

1 comment:

  1. It is such fun to watch your creative spirit blossom even further. I love your colours and your imagination!
    Marjorie

    ReplyDelete